Thursday, November 10, 2011

Let's Change the Hyatt for...

When most of us think of traveling, we think about 5-star resorts or fancy cruise lines, and who am I kidding, staying at an expensive English castle or watching a Broadway play inside an enormous boat does indeed sound tempting. However, spending big bucks is not always equal to a great vacation which is why I would like to introduce you to another form of travel: studying abroad. The following is a description of an amazing day in my study abroad program.

At 6:00 AM I wake up to go running down a narrow path overlooking the ocean; I choose to wake up so early because one hour later, the heat is so extreme there is no way I would run even one mile. After a 45 minute jog, I come back to the main house to eat breakfast in a peaceful bliss; a cup of Greek yogurt with honey, a toast with orange jam and a cup of milk, one boiled egg, and little bit of peach juice on the side start my day. Finally, a giant peach closes my light and healthy breakfast.

It is around 7:15 now and although it is not recommended to swim in the ocean right after a meal, the idea is too appealing so I dip right in. Half an hour later I take a “cold” shower, and I say “cold” because, like I mentioned before, the weather is now so hot it is the heat, and not the heater, what warms up the water.

A little bit after 8:00 AM I hand-wash my laundry and leave it to sun-dry—it will be dry in less than an hour. I look at my watch and see it is almost time for my Greek Theater class so I start my two minute walk to the main building. Since it is 10 minutes before class starts, the breakfast room is chaotic around this time with the late risers; I converse a little, grab a bottle of water and one of the last peaches for a midday snack, and head to the classroom.

The classes are fun; mask-making, dancing, theater, role-playing, and debate, were some of the amazing classes offered by the Hydrama Theater and Dance Center. Of course a theater class would not be complete without a visit to one of the most ancients stages in the world, Epidaurus, and a fun course would not be the same without a one-day sail adventure. And no visit to Greece would be complete without a field-trip to the temple of Delphi and the Parthenon.

Classes start at 9:00 AM and continue until around 1:00 PM. At this time the 22 students get ready for a first-rate meal. Our meals are prepared by Marina, a Hydra native who gives our meals a made-at-home quality that only a mom can compare to. From the traditional stuffed grape-leaves and moussaka to less traditional dishes like pork chops, each of our meals is accompanied by Greek Salad, tzatziki, and many loafs of home-made bread. Our meal ends with a slice of watermelon and I must mention, for the duration of the program, not once did I dislike any of the dishes prepared by the gracious Marina.

It is 3:00 PM now, time for a three hour nap-time and what do you do at this time, well exactly that, take a three hour, well deserved nap to escape from the scorching heat. 6:00 PM is the time to restart classes, which go on until dusk. It is at this time when we grab our diaries to write about our day experiences and thoughts while listening to traditional Greek music in the background. Then we reunite again for dinner which goes from 9:00 to 10:00PM and after this comes Party-Time!

We walk to the main port at around 11:00 PM. After a 30 minute walk we arrive to a very crowded harbor where we separate into groups to look for the best possible spot and the most delicious desserts. We dance, meet some locals and many tourists, drink the traditional ouzo and at 1:30 AM I decide I’ve had a rewarding day so I retire for the day to wake up at 6:00 AM the next morning.

Yes, an awarded hotel is nice once in a while, but living abroad for a week or a month is an experience like no other. For less than $8,000.00 I had a month of amazing experiences and great memories that a $2,000.00 per night hotel (fun not included) can’t offer. Just remember to do some research about the program that fits you and your wallet best; in the Useful Links section, you can find some websites that specialize in different types of immersion programs. Theater, cooking, yoga, and photography are few of the many courses you can take abroad. And if this is not for you, then think about working, volunteering, being an intern or just exploring a foreign country. Whether you are a student or a retiree think about having some fun abroad—believe me, you will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment