Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mexico City, Safety

I thought to address one final issue concerning Mexico and even though I left this issue for last, this is perhaps the topic that concerns most tourists: safety. Time and again I see news about violence in the country; in part this is true for in the last 5 years around 35,000 people have died in drug-related violence. However most of this violence is taking place in Mexico’s northern border and the Pacific states. For its part, Mexico City is relatively safe; this summer I went to the country’s capital and was pleasantly surprised to find that walks after sunset are still peaceful and beautiful just like 15 years ago.
In any case, this does not mean to disregard caution altogether; Mexico City might be safe but it’s still no Paris or Tokyo. Be cautious and observant; the best tourism advice I have received came from my father and that was “Do not act like a tourist!” In other words, own the place, plan what you will be doing for the day and the routes you will take, walk like you know where you are going, and be aware of what is happening around you.  
So that its it, I hope you have an opportunity to visit this beautiful city; its culture, people, history, diversity, landscape, beautiful weather, and inexpensive life-style make Mexico City one of the most stunning cities in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment